Please check back regularly for updates.
Use your administrative skills to support the growth and success of NYC’s most impactful environmental nonprofit.
Urban Green Council, the New York affiliate of the U.S. Green Building Council, is looking for a professional, detail-oriented operations associate to support the activities of its 20-person office in Lower Manhattan. This position reports to the Operations Manager.
The Operations Associate supports the core business functions of the organization in the areas of HR, Finance, IT and Office Management. The Associate will also be responsible for supporting the Executive Team (Executive Director and Managing Director) with scheduling, meeting planning and basic email communications.
Office Management Responsibilities Include:
- Managing office reception by greeting/directing guests, answering and directing calls and emails and coordinating with building security as required.
- Managing external IT consultants and supporting basic IT maintenance and troubleshooting (setting up email accounts, installing software, etc.)
- Ensuring pantry, reception and conference rooms are tidy, presentable with all necessary materials.
- Providing support for staff and other large group meetings including arranging for catering and coordinating A/V needs
- Managing inventory of office supplies and ordering as needed and coordinating maintenance of office equipment (copier, printer, phones, etc.)
HR Support Responsibilities Include:
- Supporting the recruitment and of Urban Green staff and interns by posting jobs, reviewing resumes and representing Urban Green at various industry events
- Coordinating and facilitating new intern orientation and onboarding
- Maintaining and updating Urban Green staff list, org charts and other organizational documents
- Coordinating and planning staff engagement activities and events
Finance/Accounting Support Responsibilities Include:
- Processing incoming donations, managing petty cash and ensuring proper documentation is collected for all Urban Green check requests and credit card purchases
- Coordinating with other departments to ensure payments are processed and booked appropriately
- Supporting Urban Green’s annual Audit process
- At least one year of professional office experience
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Extraordinary attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite in Mac environment)
- Team player with outstanding interpersonal skills
- Appreciation of Urban Green mission and environmental issues
- Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise
- Positive customer service attitude
- Salesforce experiences a plus
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter in a single PDF titled “YOUR LAST NAME - OA” and with YOUR LAST NAME - OA the subject line to email@example.com. Applications that are not submitted in this format will not be reviewed.
Salary in the high-30’s depending on experience. Benefits include paid health insurance and 401(k) plan with match and a generous vacation policy.
More About Urban Green Council:
Urban Green Council’s mission is to transform New York City buildings for a sustainable future. We help New York City and State develop cutting-edge policy, we research solutions that are covered in The New York Times, and we educate a broad range of professionals. By working with government and industry, we leverage our effectiveness.
Urban Green pursues activities that have scalable impact, and we focus exclusively on buildings, which account for more than 70 percent of the city’s greenhouse gas emissions (and over 40 percent of GHGs in most large cities).
We target influential professionals—real estate owners, property managers, builders, engineers, architects and government officials, to name a few—rather than the general public. “Influencing the influencers” allows us to reach most of the city through a very small portion of New York’s 8.5 million residents. We reach these key segments through three routes: policy, education and research.
This is an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual who is passionate about contributing to the green building movement in New York City.
About the Position:
The part-time Communications and Development Intern will assist with fundraising and communications projects as part of Urban Green’s external relations. Candidates should be able to take on multiple projects and work independently with flexibility, enthusiasm, and good humor.
- Find and curate content for social media and the Urban Green website.
- Help organize and maintain Salesforce, our donor database, including data entry and reporting.
- Provide minor updates and maintenance to the Urban Green website.
- Assist with web graphics and help organize photo archive.
- Assist with fundraising and membership correspondence.
- Assist with event planning and execution.
- Work on special projects as required.
- Currently enrolled in a degree program (graduate or undergraduate); environmental or building-related field of study preferred.
- Interest in and understanding of green building and environmental issues.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Proactive with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work well both independently and as a member of a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Additional Skills (optional but preferred):
- Background in communications or fundraising.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.
- Experience with HTML.
- Familiarity with CRM Software (Salesforce preferred).
This internship will begin in late August and last through December. Fall interns are expected to work approximately 20 hours a week and are paid a bi-weekly stipend. All Urban Green interns are also extended complimentary invitations to Urban Green educational programs and events.
How to Apply:
Please email resume and cover letter as a single PDF titled “Development-Communications-Intern_[Name]” with “Communications and Development Internship - [Name]” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.