Urban Green is launching a two-year electrification study. Supported by the Rosin Fund of the Scherman Foundation through a competitive grant process, Advancing Electrification will create a blueprint for scaling heat pumps in NYC's large multifamily buildings. In Year 1 we’ll develop priorities through stakeholder convenings and in-depth research; in Year 2, we will advance to implementation strategies, such as incentives and stakeholder education. We previewed the project at the October 2018 NYSERDA and Department of Public Service Heat Pump Forum, part of NY State’s effort to incorporate electrification into new energy efficiency initiatives.
Advancing Electrification builds on an impressive Urban Green body of work that started with 2012’s 90 by 50 report, which demonstrated that deep carbon reductions were possible by switching to renewable energy and using heat pumps for heating and cooling. Since then, we've built on those findings through additional research, educational events, and blogs, below.
We’re very excited about Advancing Electrification and look forward to keeping you apprised (and seeking your advice) throughout this critical project.
HOW WOULD ELECTRIFICATION CHANGE OUR BUILDINGS?
© Urban Green Council
Click to enlarge.
OUR ELECTRIFICATION WORK
- Conference speaker Marc Zuluaga takes a closer look in Heat Pumps: What's Possible in NYC
- Hear Richard Leigh, the chief researcher and author of our 90 by 50 Report, discuss his findings in Inside 90 by 50: A Conversation with the Researchers.
ELECTRIFICATION BLOG SERIES
- What is building electrification, and why is it important to discuss now? Our Executive Director explains.
- How will electrification impact architects, and why should they start thinking about the power grid now? Rafael Pelli of Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects shares his thoughts.
- When it comes to electrification, which questions remain? Richard Leigh, author of our 90 by 50 report, lays them out.
- Is the electrification of building systems a new concept? Policy Manager Chris Halfnight takes us back to the 1950s.
- Conference Recap, Part 1: "Is Electrification Just an Electri-Fiction?"
- Conference Recap Part 2: "Transforming Building Systems"
- Event Recap: Converting Heating Systems
- External Resource: "How efficient is a heat pump?" (Leonardo Energy)
Special thanks to