The 2020 Energy Code will go into effect on March 1, 2020. Urban Green is seeking passionate and qualified speakers and instructors who are interested in sharing their knowledge and advancing the industry towards a more sustainable future.
Since 2010, Urban Green Council’s Energy Code courses have reached more than 6700 design professionals representing over 1700 organizations in a range of market sectors. Starting in 2020, we will launch three new courses to further increase awareness and improve code compliance.
These courses will be marketed to architects, engineers, code enforcement officials, contractors, construction managers, and design students throughout New York State, and all offer CE credits.
Our new courses are based on the 2020 New York State Energy Conservation Construction Code (NYSECCC), the 2020 NYStretch Energy Code, and ASHRAE 90.1 (2016):
Full-Day Courses (8 hours; to be offered by qualified instructors)
These full-day courses demystify the Energy Code. Our curriculum uses innovative approaches to engage students, including a mix of media and hands-on activities and demonstrations. The program is more dynamic than a typical PowerPoint lecture-style presentation and focuses on active ways that industry professionals can incorporate the energy code into their practice.
- Crushing the Stretch Code: Commercial and residential versions will be offered in New York City and select downstate locations.
- Crushing the Code (ECCCNYS): Commercial and residential versions will be offered throughout New York State
What’s New in the Code (90-minute sessions; to be offered by qualified speakers)
These short courses will explain the major updates in the new Stretch Code and how the energy code fits in the context of NYC’s Local Law 97. Speakers will present to groups ranging from 15-100 attendees. Presentations will take place in the New York City metro region.
- Technical version for architects and engineers
- General version for industry stakeholders
All speakers and/or instructors must meet the following criteria:
- Prior experience delivering presentations to high-level audiences
- At least 7 years experience in architecture, engineering, contracting, code enforcement or sustainability consultancy, with experience with commercial and/or residential buildings that exceed energy code requirements
- A passion for sustainability, knowledge of green building practices, and willingness to further your expertise in the field of sustainability
- Familiarity with energy codes
- A commitment to mastering the presentation, preparing for classes, and continually improving the training experience for Energy Code students
- Proficiency with standard Microsoft Office and Google products (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, Google Slides)
- A recommendation from an appropriate individual familiar with your presentation skills
- Ability to travel within designated region
- Note: speakers selected for the 90-minute sessions are allowed to mention their firm at the beginning of the presentation, and hand out their business cards at the end. They may also identify groups or firms that they think should receive the presentation.
All speakers and/or instructors will be responsible for:
- Creating an engaging and dynamic experience for participants
- Teaching approved curriculum materials, including course slides and customized classroom exercises as applicable
- Delivering full training in line with established training standards
- Motivating students to actively participate in all aspects of the educational process and responding to questions throughout the duration of the course
- Providing feedback to Urban Green about any classroom events that may require immediate action
- Check-in all students who attend and ensure they complete the course evaluation
Please note speakers serve on a provisional basis until speaking ability and familiarity with the presentation are confirmed by observation and feedback.
Speakers and instructors must attend an instructor training session and receive certification from Urban Green Council in order to qualify for these positions. Attendance at an instructor training session does not guarantee selection.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, fill out the application form available at this link (https://bit.ly/2KmnvBq) by December 15. Candidates who apply after this deadline will be accepted on a rolling basis. You will need to provide a short cover letter, resume and a reference.
Instructors will be compensated at a competitive hourly rate for the daylong code training. Speakers delivering the 90-minute sessions will receive a flat fee per session.
Help educate the building industry locally and nationally at NYC’s most impactful environmental nonprofit.
Urban Green Council seeks a highly motivated and detail-oriented temporary Education Fellow to help drive education for building professionals throughout North America. Urban Green Council is New York City’s premier source for education on green building design, construction and building operations.
Since 2010, Urban Green Council’s Educational courses have reached more than 20,000 design, construction, and building operations professionals. Urban Green Council developed and manages several educational programs including GPRO: Green Professional Building Skills Training, and Energy Code courses. The Education Fellow will be responsible for successfully delivering Energy Code and GPRO courses, coordinating logistics, and assisting with marketing and outreach efforts.
- Coordinate course delivery for all student and instructor training: securing venue, scheduling instructors, shipping materials, managing rosters, sending and grading exams, processing evaluations, and issuing certificates.
- Provide timely and professional communication for students, partners, and instructors.
- Organize and maintain student, instructor and training partner information using CRM database.
- Process Continuing Education credit requests for students.
- Track and manage inventory of all printed materials held by vendors and Delivery Partners.
- Audit courses as needed
- Compile course and instructor evaluations
- Work to consistently improve systems and processes that will enhance customer service and/or simplify internal workflow
Marketing and Outreach
Coordinate with Communications Team to support Education marketing and outreach efforts, including:
- Implement effective outreach campaigns by creating emails, one-sheets, and reaching out to potential partners.
- Research potential training leads
- Manage web pages and social media accounts.
- At least 1-2 years of experience in a professional work environment
- Ability to provide stellar customer service to internal and external stakeholders; a sense of urgency, superior attention to detail, and a friendly, approachable demeanor
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive and strong work ethic
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and to work independently
- Experience with design programs and projects using Adobe Suite
- Experience in MS Office and database management in Mac environment; experience with Salesforce preferred
Fellows are expected to work approximately 25 hours a week and are paid hourly. All Urban Green fellows are extended complimentary invitations to Urban Green educational programs and events. They will also receive a one-year Urban Green membership upon completion of their fellowship.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter as a single PDF titled “Education Fellowship_[LastName]” with “Education Fellowship – [LastName]” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us where you found our posting in your cover letter.
Are you an experienced building operations professional? Are you passionate about reducing energy use in buildings and addressing climate change head-on? Then becoming a GPRO Operations & Maintenance Instructor could be a great fit.
Using Urban Green’s proven curriculum and training materials, GPRO instructors help operations staff think differently about their day-to-day work, with the goal of making buildings healthier and more sustainable for tenants and building staff. These are part-time contractor positions paid on a per-class basis.
About the Course
GPRO Operations & Maintenance Essentials provides building operations professionals with strategies to reduce energy use while improving tenant comfort and health. Students leave with immediately actionable measures and the next steps needed to implement them. Participants also learn how to take a systemic approach to operating and maintaining buildings and how to evaluate building performance in the process. The course is designed for current building operations staff who need to bridge the “green gap” between conventional and sustainable, high-performance operations practices.
- Create an engaging and dynamic classroom experience
- Teach material from approved curriculum, including course PowerPoint slides, workbooks, and customized classroom exercises
- Prepare for, and deliver, GPRO O&M training in line with established training standards while being mindful of different learning styles, making adjustments when needed
- Motivate students to actively participate in all aspects of the educational process and answer questions throughout the course
- Debrief with Urban Green following each course to provide feedback on training sessions
- Participate in annual instructor recertification webinars to stay up-to-date with curriculum
- Stay current and continually improve knowledge and understanding of the field
- Prepare and submit required documentation following courses, including, but not limited to, sign-in sheets and student evaluations
- Five years minimum professional and practical experience working in building operations and maintenance or equivalent. Relevant jobs include: building superintendents, operators, facilties and property managers, operating engineers, and stationary engineers.
- A passion for sustainability, knowledge of high-performance building practices, and willingness to learn more about the latest sustainability trends
- Enthusiasm for teaching and a sensitivity to student needs and interests
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proactive, diligent, flexible, enthusiastic and creative
- Detail-oriented and able to work independently
- Able to teach using ample real-world experience
- Available to work Monday-Friday during business hours
- Able to travel throughout NYC to teach, and ideally north of NYC as required from time to time
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google products (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel; Google Slides)
- Experience as a trainer or in presenting technical information in a group setting
- Experience teaching adults
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter in a single PDF to email@example.com.
If your application is selected, you will be required to participate in GPRO O&M Instructor Training at no cost to you, but not paid. You must first pass the Instructor Training in order to become certified. This is a part-time contractor position that is available based on Urban Green’s training needs.
GPRO is a comprehensive national training and certificate program that teaches the people who maintain, build, and renovate buildings the principles of sustainability combined with job-specific high-performance construction knowledge. Since its inception in 2010, over 14,000 building operators and tradespeople across the country have become GPRO Certificate Holders. www.gpro.org
About Urban Green
Urban Green’s mission is to transform buildings for a sustainable future in New York City and around the world. We help develop cutting-edge policy, we educate a broad range of professionals, and we research solutions that drive policy and best practices nationally and globally. By working with both the public and private sectors, we leverage our effectiveness. www.urbangreencouncil.org.