Urban Green Council is seeking an experienced, driven and highly skilled Associate Manager to join our Policy team. The Associate Manager will help Urban Green tackle the most pressing climate change, energy efficiency and green building policy challenges in New York City and around the world.
Urban Green is NYCʼs go-to nonprofit for sustainable building policy. We recently convened the 80x50 Buildings Partnership and released the Blueprint for Efficiency, which shaped much of the city’s major new building emissions law. We’ve also twice managed blue ribbon commissions for the city on green codes and building resiliency.
The Associate Manager reports to the Associate Director of Policy and will oversee interns, fellows and consultants. The successful candidate will pair knowledge of buildings, energy and climate change with a strong policy development and advocacy skill set. He or she will be able to balance multiple projects and work independently with enthusiasm, creativity, and attention to detail. The Associate Manager will work with leading thinkers in urban sustainability and positively impact the future of New York and other cities around the world.
The Associate Manager will:
- Work with the Associate Director on major initiatives, including supporting implementation of NYC’s new building emissions law, shaping a carbon or efficiency credit trading program for buildings, and advancing electrification of heat and hot water systems in the multifamily sector; and
- Lead targeted policy projects with guidance from the Associate Director, such as drafting comments on NYC or NYS bills, advocating with key decision-makers for code improvements or developing recommendations on energy disclosure requirements.
Tasks will span four key areas:
- Policy development: Research, analyze and write data-driven climate policy proposals for the building sector. Advise on new and amended laws, regulations and programs to advance energy efficiency, retrofits, decarbonization, electrification and clean power.
- Stakeholder engagement: Build strong relationships with colleagues in government, nonprofits and industry, periodically taking a front-line role. Coordinate logistics and materials for meetings, convenings and expert interviews on policy initiatives.
- Advocacy & communication: Draft testimony and materials for legislative hearings and meetings to advance policy proposals, coordinating with other organizations to drive outcomes. Communicate findings and recommendations simply and effectively, including through policy briefs, blogs and periodic public testimony.
- Department management: Assist in day-to-day management of the Policy Department, overseeing interns, fellows and consultants. Support strategic planning, cross-departmental collaboration, and grant writing and reporting.
- Master’s, Professional or other advanced degree, with relevant focus (e.g. public policy, architecture, law, environment)
- 5-8 years of work experience, including work in green building and/or energy policy
- Exceptional research, writing and analytical skills
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Facility for both independent and collaborative work, including with/for remote colleagues
- Ability to collaborate on data analysis and visualization with research team
- Proactive, diligent, innovative and enthusiastic
Urban Green Council offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including a four percent 401k match and three weeks of vacation in the first year.
- Excellence: We strive for innovative high-quality programs and ideas.
- Inclusion: The diverse voices and backgrounds of our employees, board, members, and partners make us stronger.
- Collaboration: We believe consensus delivers better solutions and teamwork is essential to our success.
- Engagement: We promote a culture of performance, participation, and curiosity.
How to Apply:
Please email resume, cover letter and a writing sample (approximately three pages) in a single PDF document titled “Associate Manager – [Last Name] with “Associate Manager – [Last Name]” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include where you found our posting in your cover letter. Only applications submitted in this format will be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Are you an experienced building operations professional? Are you passionate about reducing energy use in buildings and addressing climate change head-on? Then becoming a GPRO Operations & Maintenance Instructor could be a great fit.
Using Urban Green’s proven curriculum and training materials, GPRO instructors help operations staff think differently about their day-to-day work, with the goal of making buildings healthier and more sustainable for tenants and building staff. These are part-time contractor positions paid on a per-class basis.
About the Course
GPRO Operations & Maintenance Essentials provides building operations professionals with strategies to reduce energy use while improving tenant comfort and health. Students leave with immediately actionable measures and the next steps needed to implement them. Participants also learn how to take a systemic approach to operating and maintaining buildings and how to evaluate building performance in the process. The course is designed for current building operations staff who need to bridge the “green gap” between conventional and sustainable, high-performance operations practices.
- Create an engaging and dynamic classroom experience
- Teach material from approved curriculum, including course PowerPoint slides, workbooks, and customized classroom exercises
- Prepare for, and deliver, GPRO O&M training in line with established training standards while being mindful of different learning styles, making adjustments when needed
- Motivate students to actively participate in all aspects of the educational process and answer questions throughout the course
- Debrief with Urban Green following each course to provide feedback on training sessions
- Participate in annual instructor recertification webinars to stay up-to-date with curriculum
- Stay current and continually improve knowledge and understanding of the field
- Prepare and submit required documentation following courses, including, but not limited to, sign-in sheets and student evaluations
- Five years minimum professional and practical experience working in building operations and maintenance or equivalent. Relevant jobs include: building superintendents, operators, facilties and property managers, operating engineers, and stationary engineers.
- A passion for sustainability, knowledge of high-performance building practices, and willingness to learn more about the latest sustainability trends
- Enthusiasm for teaching and a sensitivity to student needs and interests
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proactive, diligent, flexible, enthusiastic and creative
- Detail-oriented and able to work independently
- Able to teach using ample real-world experience
- Available to work Monday-Friday during business hours
- Able to travel throughout NYC to teach, and ideally north of NYC as required from time to time
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google products (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel; Google Slides)
- Experience as a trainer or in presenting technical information in a group setting
- Experience teaching adults
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter in a single PDF to email@example.com.
If your application is selected, you will be required to participate in GPRO O&M Instructor Training at no cost to you, but not paid. You must first pass the Instructor Training in order to become certified. This is a part-time contractor position that is available based on Urban Green’s training needs.
GPRO is a comprehensive national training and certificate program that teaches the people who maintain, build, and renovate buildings the principles of sustainability combined with job-specific high-performance construction knowledge. Since its inception in 2010, over 14,000 building operators and tradespeople across the country have become GPRO Certificate Holders. www.gpro.org
About Urban Green
Urban Green’s mission is to transform buildings for a sustainable future in New York City and around the world. We help develop cutting-edge policy, we educate a broad range of professionals, and we research solutions that drive policy and best practices nationally and globally. By working with both the public and private sectors, we leverage our effectiveness. www.urbangreencouncil.org.