Urban Green’s Education programs educate and empower the building community to integrate sustainability in their work. Urban Green is looking for an Education Associate to manage the outreach and delivery of our flagship programs, Crushing the Energy Code and GPRO: Green Professional Building Skills Training. These courses teach architects, engineers, construction workers and building operators essential green building practices to ensure that their buildings are healthy, efficient and high-performing.
These courses are offered directly by Urban Green, and also through a large partner network around the country, so managing these partnerships is a critical part of this position. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to play a pivotal role in building and maintaining Urban Green Council’s world-class sustainability training.
The person who will best succeed in this role:
- Is a systems thinker who is able to hit the ground running, learn new systems quickly and is always looking for new ways to innovate and improve internal operations. This person enjoys making processes more efficient and implementing those changes.
- Values building industry relationships and enjoys partnering with people across the building sector. They are interested and able to make connections between what the industry needs and the training we provide.
- Enjoys working in a customer service capacity whether it is answering student questions, helping people register for a course, or teaching a new instructor how to use our online instructor portal. They are happy to speak with our community and help solve problems.
- Likes to be the public face of an organization or program and has an interest in representing Urban Green at industry events to a wide variety of audiences. This includes at partner trainings, trade shows, or at Urban Green meetings and programs.
A few other qualities we're looking for include:
- Organization. This person is skilled at handling details on multiple work streams and is able to keep track of educational offerings, pricing structure, and partners.
- Understanding of the green building community in NYC and around the country and a belief that training plays a key role in fighting climate change.
- Marketing skills. This person can think creatively to develop new and improved strategies for marketing and outreach. They can create and execute effective day-to-day outreach materials such as emails and one-sheets, and also effectively work with our Communications Team on more complex marketing projects. They can think out of the box to create new course promotions and expand our audience.
- Enjoys taking initiative and is interested in managing all aspects of a project, including leading new initiatives.
- Relationship Management:
- Onboarding new partners and instructors to build effective long-term relationships, ensure that roles and responsibilities are clear
- Providing customer service support to students and clients registering for courses and serving as the point of contact for students, partners, and instructors.
- Conducting regular partner check-in calls to ensure partner needs are met
- Coordinating with the Curriculum Development team to ensure a streamlined process for product launch, annual content updates and student feedback
- Outreach and Marketing:
- Managing monthly newsletters, social media accounts, and website content including blogs. Working with the Communications team on effective outreach materials including emails, one-sheets, web pages and social media.
- Managing GPRO Sales pipeline/opportunities and conducting outreach to develop new leads for partners and clients.
- Developing new marketing strategies for our programs and conducting regular email and phone outreach to associations, nonprofits and Urban Green contacts to build awareness and foster interest in Urban Green’s educational offerings.
- Representing Urban Green educational programs at industry events (limited travel may be required when safe) such as conferences, trade shows, and industry events.
- Course Delivery:
- Managing every stage of course delivery for all Urban Green student and instructor trainings: sales, contract signing, securing venue, scheduling instructors, shipping materials, managing rosters, sending and grading exams, processing evaluations, and issuing certificates.
- Managing the GPRO Store and ensuring products get delivered on time.
- Helping create and compile monthly and quarterly Education reporting for staff, funders, and the Board of Directors to track progress against goals.
- Supporting the implementation of our new Learning Management System.
- Supporting quality control across all courses, including course and exam updates, instructor training, instructor evaluation, and student feedback.
Benefits and Compensation
The salary range for this position is $42,000 - $48,000. Offers will be made commensurate to experience. Benefits include:
- 100% employee coverage for medical and dental
- 401k with 4% employer match
- 15 vacation days in your first year, 8 paid holidays, and 2 personal days
- Office closure between Christmas and New Year's
- Early closure on Fridays during the summer
- 100% employee coverage for Life, Short Term and Long Term disability insurance
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
Urban Green Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law. We celebrate diversity and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
How To Apply
If you are interested in this position, please fill out this application form. If we are interested in moving forward with the interview process, we will reach out. No phone calls, please.
Urban Green’s Organizational Values
- Excellence: We strive for innovative high-quality programs and ideas.
- Inclusion: The diverse voices and backgrounds of our employees, board of directors, members, and partners make us stronger.
- Collaboration: We believe consensus delivers better solutions and teamwork is essential to our success.
- Engagement: We promote a culture of performance, participation, and curiosity.
The shift to low-carbon, energy-efficient construction is gaining momentum. These projects require an understanding of new technologies in building systems, and extra coordination across disciplines. GPRO Construction Management teaches construction professionals the specific and actionable strategies needed to integrate sustainability practices into their everyday work. This course is designed to show practitioners what they need to know at every phase of construction, and how to avoid common mistakes.
Urban Green Council is looking for GPRO Construction Management Instructors who are passionate about reducing energy use in the building industry. Using Urban Green’s proven curriculum and training materials, GPRO instructors help construction staff think differently about their day-to-day work, with the goal of making buildings healthier and more sustainable. These are part-time contractor positions paid on an hourly basis.
ABOUT THE COURSE
This course is designed for busy construction professionals. Participants take a one-day classroom training (in person or virtually) and then finish the course by selecting three hours of elective content that is most relevant to their work. Participants will leave this course with practical steps to achieve successful, sustainable, and cost-effective projects.
- Create an engaging and dynamic classroom experience
- Teach material from approved curriculum, including course PowerPoint slides and customized classroom exercises
- Prepare for, and deliver, GPRO CM training in line with established training standards while being mindful of different learning styles, making adjustments when needed
- Motivate students to actively participate in all aspects of the educational process and answer questions throughout the course
- Debrief with Urban Green staff regularly to provide feedback on training sessions
- Participate in instructor recertification webinars, surveys and calls to stay up-to-date with curriculum
- Stay up-to-date with current practices and continually improve knowledge and understanding of the field
- Prepare and submit required documentation following courses, including, but not limited to, sign-in sheets and student evaluations
- 7-8 years minimum professional and practical experience working in building construction and or equivalent. Relevant jobs include: construction managers, general contractors, experienced tradesperson, project managers and site superintendents
- A passion for sustainability, knowledge of high-performance building practices, and willingness to learn more about the latest sustainability trends
- Enthusiasm for teaching and a sensitivity to student needs and interests
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proactive, diligent, flexible, enthusiastic and creative
- Detail-oriented and able to work independently
- Able to teach using ample real-world experience
- Available to attend required training sessions held by Urban Green
- Availability to teach classes during the workweek, as needed
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google products and video conferencing platforms (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel; Google Slides; Zoom Meeting or GoToTraining)
- Experience as a trainer or in presenting technical information in a group setting
- Experience teaching adults
To apply, please complete the application form and submit a resume and cover letter through the link.
If your application is selected, you will be required to participate in GPRO CM Instructor Training at no cost to you, but not paid. You must first pass the Instructor Training in order to become certified. This is a part-time contractor position that is available based on training needs.
GPRO is a comprehensive national training and certificate program that teaches the people who maintain, build, and renovate buildings the principles of sustainability combined with job-specific high-performance construction knowledge. Since its inception in 2010, over 16,000 building professionals and tradespeople across North America have become GPRO Certificate Holders.
ABOUT URBAN GREEN
Urban Green’s mission is to transform buildings for a sustainable future in New York City and around the world. We help develop cutting-edge policy, we educate a broad range of professionals, and we research solutions that drive policy and best practices nationally and globally. By working with both the public and private sectors, we leverage our effectiveness.