Sustainable buildings require educated professionals at every level—design, construction and operations. Since our inception, Urban Green has been a pioneer in sustainability training. We develop and present educational programs that teach practitioners the essential skills they need to work on high-performance buildings.
Our monthly programs and our annual conference on leading-edge topics reach over 3,000 professionals each year. In the last 15 years, our Monthly Programs Committee has helped plan and implement over 400 educational programs and events.
Urban Green has trained over 15,000 building tradespeople and operators through GPRO, Green Professional Building Skills course. GPRO prepares every team member working in a building or on the job site to integrate sustainability into their existing work—whether it’s operations and maintenance, construction management, electrical or HVAC. We deliver training at scale through partnerships with major unions and associations, including 32BJ SEIU, the United Association (plumbing and pipefitting), the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and REBNY.
We’re also training architects and engineers on the ins and outs of the NY State and NYC energy codes, which are more stringent than ever. We have trained over 7,000 design professionals throughout the state with the help of partners including AIA New York State, the American Council of Engineering Companies and ASHRAE.
Our educational programs also maximize the impact of our policy work. For example, we trained over 2,500 people to comply with new laws under the Greener, Greater Buildings Plan.
WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON
- Integrating GPRO training into more unions across the country (it’s already taught in 12 states).
WHAT WE'VE ALREADY DONE
- Expanded GPRO offerings both nationally and internationally, bringing our total number of students trained to over 13,000.
- Launched a Conquering the Energy Code Training series to train architects and engineers on the NYC and NY State building code. To date, we have trained over 5,000 professionals.
- Created the Air Tight, Tested Right videos to teach contractors, architects and homeowners to comply with new requirements.
- Prepared a Local Law 87 and 88 Training to aid the Mayor's Office of Sustainability in increasing compliance with new, energy-wise laws.