Our policy work drives green building progress in New York City and beyond. By improving codes, we can make every current and future building more sustainable. By engaging key stakeholders, we fashion energy and climate solutions that work for the environment and the bottom line. Our efforts have helped transform New York City’s green building landscape and shaped the building code to be among the most efficient and resilient in the nation.
In addition, Urban Green led two blue ribbon commissions, The Green Codes Task Force and The Building Resiliency Task Force, on behalf of the City of New York. We co-chaired the Mayor’s One City: Built to Last Technical Working Group with the Real Estate Board of New York. And we continue to convene NYC's leading building and energy stakeholders through the 80x50 Buildings Partnership.
In August 2018, the Buildings Partnership delivered the Blueprint for Efficiency to New York City Council, with consensus recommendations on building emissions policy. Many elements of the Blueprint made it into Local Law 97 of 2019, the groundbreaking building emissions law enacted in May 2019, a landmark piece of legislation that sets tough requirements for carbon reductions on large NYC buildings.
We’re also expanding our thought leadership and advocacy at the state level. As we have in NYC, we connect the real estate industry with program planning and design, creating policies that are high-impact and cost-effective for the state.
Finally, we’re working to develop next-generation policies to meet the city’s energy and climate goals—with smart, innovative policy solutions, New York City and State will remain at the forefront of green building.
WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON
- Implementing the Blueprint for Efficiency to cut carbon in NYC's large buildings
- Developing a roadmap to advance electrification in multifamily buildings
- Advancing other 80x50 efficiency policies for new and existing buildings
- Unlocking efficiency in the city’s landmarked buildings
- Improving efficiency in the city’s steam-powered buildings
WHAT WE'VE ALREADY DONE
- Produced the Green Building Roadmap in advance of the 2017 Mayoral Campaign.
- Identified key updates to NYC's Zoning Resolution in Zone Greener, our follow up on the 2012 Zone Green amendments.
- 20 of our proposed measures were adopted to make New York buildings and residents better prepared for the next extreme weather event (Building Resiliency Task Force Report).
- Engaged key stakeholders to compile the Green Codes Task Force Report, which suggests measures to improve our building code.
- Developed and drove improvements to the New York City Energy Conservation Code that require more efficient buildings.
- Outlined NYC's path to 90x50 (90x50: NYC Can Reduce Its Carbon Footprint 90% By 2050).